Important Key Points When Painting Wood Furniture

Advertise 728x90
I have two ends tables that I purchased at local second-hand shops that needed a little bit of lovin' and a fresh coat of paint.  Believe it or not, these are the  first pieces of furniture that I have personally  ever painted.  I have suggested the idea to clients,  but as for me and my house, I had never done it.




If you are looking for a step - by - step  tutorial on how to paint your wood furniture, this is not it!
I just want to share a few very important key points that I learned along the way:

1) Use an oil based primer.  I learned the importance of this after painting my first end table.  The table actually turned out cream colored  - even though I used white paint -  because I just used regular wall primer.   From what I understand, the oil based primer stops the furniture stain from seeping through your new paint color.  Zinnser Primer (the one in the gold can) is a great oil primer, and is what I used on my second table.  (This primer is also designed to stick to glossy surfaces so you don't have to sand before painting. That is a win - win for me!)

2) Do two to three good coats of primer. Again, this helps to ensure the stain doesn't seep through.

3) Use the foam brush designed for cabinet doors as much as possible - these are awesome, and really cut down on brush strokes.

4) This one is a HUGE one!!!  Once your paint is dry, make sure to seal your painted piece of furniture with Polycrylic Protective Finish. My first table was tacky to the touch even after a week of drying.  Anything  placed on it, stuck to it! After putting a few coats of this stuff on it though, and letting it dry, it feels like a normal finish on furniture should.


If you would like a full tutorial on how to paint wood furniture here are couple of posts I think are really great:

Bryn Alexandra Blog

Centsational Girl Blog




Do you have any other tips that you think are important when painting wood furniture??  If so, leave a comment!
Advertisement
Advertise Responsive

Tulis Komentar
 
close button
Back to top
Situs ini menggunakan cookies untuk memastikan Anda mendapatkan pengalaman terbaik di situs kami Kebijakan Kami
Got It!